Although problems installing Merge are rare, they do occur from time to time. Araxis support has identified the following steps as likely to solve most installation issues.
- Ensure that your system meets the minimum system requirements for Merge.
- Make sure that you have Administrator or Power User privileges.
- Close any non-essential documents and applications while installing Merge.
- Temporarily disable any antivirus software for the duration of the installation. You should re-enable the antivirus software and re-scan your hard drive for viruses after installation.
- Use the Disk Cleanup program (Control Panel▸System and Security▸Administrative Tools▸Disk Cleanup) to delete unnecessary temporary files from directories on your disk. Files left in these directories by other applications’ setup programs have been known to cause problems.
Resolving Windows Installer Errors
Advertised … unsafe
Windows Installer displays a message saying: This advertised application will not be installed because it might be unsafe. Contact your administrator to change the installation user interface option of the package to basic.
This error typically occurs when Araxis Merge has been already been partially installed on your machine by your network administrator. In this scenario, Merge is advertised on your computer as being available to use, and will be installed when you try to run it for the first time using the Araxis Merge item in the Start menu (Windows 7 and earlier), or on the Start screen (Windows 8).
- Click on Araxis Merge in the Start menu or Start screen to complete installation.
- Or, open the Control Panel and open Programs and Features. Locate the Araxis Merge entry in the list of installed applications, and use the controls to uninstall it. You can then install Merge from the setup package that you have downloaded.
- Or, download the Araxis Merge setup package from the Download Araxis Merge page. Open a command prompt and
cdto the folder where you saved the downloaded
.msifile. Run the
msiexecprogram as follows (substituting the name of the setup package as appropriate):
msiexec /qb /I Merge2012.4198-x64.msi
- Or, contact your network administrator to see if he or she has any information concerning partial Merge installations on your computer.
Windows Installer displays a message saying ‘installation was interrupted’.
There seems to be no single cause for this error. Logging out or restarting the computer before restarting the Merge setup sometimes helps. If the error persists, please contact Araxis for assistance.
If you continue to encounter problems after trying the above, please contact Araxis for assistance. If possible, please include a screenshot of any error you are seeing, and a note of what version of Windows you have installed on your computer.