There are two ways to integrate Merge with Finder:
Using the Finder extension is the simplest method, and is generally recommended. However, macOS does not provide a way to create keyboard shortcuts that invoke a Finder extension’s commands. Thus, if you wish to use keyboard shortcuts, use the macOS services instead.
Whether you use the extension for Finder or the macOS services, the following commands are available:
|Compare Using Araxis Merge||Compares the selected items using Merge.|
|Queue for Comparison Using Araxis Merge||Adds the selected items to a comparison queue. Queued items are included when you select another item and choose Compare with Queue. You can thus use this command to compare items located in different Finder tabs or windows.|
|Compare with Queue Using Araxis Merge||Compares the selected and queued items using Merge.|
|Clear Araxis Merge Queue||Removes any items from the queue.|
Using the Merge extension for Finder
The Merge extension for Finder adds commands to the Finder context menus that appear when you right-click (or Ctrl-click) selected files or folders.
To enable or disable the Merge Finder extension:
- Open the macOS System Preferences.
- Choose the Extensions item.
- To enable Finder integration, check the Araxis Merge▸Finder checkbox.
- To disable Finder integration, uncheck the Araxis Merge▸Finder checkbox.
Using the Merge services for macOS
The Merge services for macOS add commands to the Services submenu of the Finder context menus that appear when you right-click (or Ctrl-click) selected files or folders.
Keyboard shortcuts may be configured for the Merge services via macOS System Preferences (System Preferences▸Keyboard▸Shortcuts▸Services▸Files and Folders).
To install the Merge services for macOS:
- Open the
Servicesfolder from within the Merge installation disk image (
- Select all the
- Right-click (or Ctrl-click) the selected files to display the Finder context menu.
- Choose Open with…▸Automator from the Finder context menu.
- In the dialog that is displayed for each file, click the Install button, followed by the Done button.
To enable or disable Merge services for macOS:
- From within Merge, choose Araxis Merge▸Services▸Services Preferences… menu item.
- The macOS System Preferences will open to the Services section of the Keyboard▸Shortcuts page.
- To enable a Merge service, check its box in the Files and Folders services category.
- To disable a Merge service, uncheck its box in the Files and Folders services category.