There are two ways to integrate Merge with macOS Finder:
The Finder extension is generally the more convenient integration method to use. However, macOS does not provide a way to create keyboard shortcuts for a Finder extension’s commands. Thus, if you wish to assign keyboard shortcuts, use the macOS services instead.
The following commands are available, regardless of whether you use the extension for Finder or the macOS services:
|Compare Using Araxis Merge||Compares the selected items using Merge.|
|Queue for Comparison Using Araxis Merge||Adds the selected items to a comparison queue. Queued items are included when you select another item and choose Compare with Queue. You can thus use this command to compare items located in different Finder tabs or windows.|
|Compare with Queue Using Araxis Merge||Compares the selected and queued items using Merge.|
|Clear Araxis Merge Queue||Removes any items from the queue.|
Using the Merge extension for Finder
The Merge extension for Finder adds commands to the Finder context menus that appear when you right-click (or Ctrl-click) selected files or folders. The extension is not enabled by default, and must therefore be enabled via macOS System Preferences before it can be used.
To enable or disable the Merge Finder extension:
- Open the macOS System Preferences.
- Choose the Extensions item.
- To enable Finder integration, check the Araxis Merge▸Finder checkbox.
- To disable Finder integration, uncheck the Araxis Merge▸Finder checkbox.
Using the Merge services for macOS
The Merge services for macOS add commands to the Services submenu of application menus, and also to the equivalent submenu of the context menus that appear when you right-click (or Ctrl-click) selected files or folders in Finder. The services are enabled by default.
Keyboard shortcuts may be configured for the Merge services via macOS System Preferences (System Preferences▸Keyboard▸Shortcuts▸Services▸Files and Folders).
To enable or disable Merge services for macOS:
- From within Merge, choose Araxis Merge▸Services▸Services Preferences… menu item.
- The macOS System Preferences will open to the Services section of the Keyboard▸Shortcuts page.
- To enable a Merge service, check its box in the Files and Folders services category.
- To disable a Merge service, uncheck its box in the Files and Folders services category.